Your health matters
Tu Salud ¡Si Cuenta! (Your Health Matters!) has been creating a “Culture of Health” in the Rio Grande Valley since 2003— 18 years of innovative, community-led efforts resulting in a healthier place to live!
What began in Brownsville, Texas as a movement to address alarmingly high rates of obesity and diabetes, has gained momentum and spread to neighboring cities across Cameron County and beyond, resulting in healthier individuals, families and communities!
Tu Salud ¡Si Cuenta! is Evidence-Based, Collaborative, Innovative, and Results-Driven—focused on improving Health Outcomes.
The Tu Salud ¡Si Cuenta! Campaign is led by the UTHealth, School of Public Health and its Collaborative Action Board that engages local community-members and policy-makers using:
- The media (TV, radio, newspaper, social media) featuring role models;
- Community Health Workers or Promotoras, to provide health screenings, and deliver motivation and education to those who most need it;
- Free exercise groups, walking clubs, classes offered throughout the community in low-income neighborhoods to increase access to physical activity options.
- Infrastructure enhancements like hike and bike trails, sidewalks, lighting, hydration stations, farmer's markets, community gardens and more, to increase access and availability of safe, affordable places to exercise and make healthy food choices;
- Community Events like The Challenge RGV weight-loss challenge, CycloBia open streets, Better Block, bike rodeos, fun runs, World Records;
- Decision-maker engagement (city/county leaders to create policies that promote health (smoking ordinances, complete streets, safe passing laws, urban farming policies, etc.).